23 Dec Job Opportunity: Communications & Engagement Manager
Join the EngageMedia team!
The Communications & Engagement Manager works with our communications team to support various projects — with priority put on our digital rights program — in developing and curating content, supporting advocacy campaigns, building audiences, and creating social impact.
The role has a strong focus on writing, editing, podcasting, publishing platform management, and community collaboration.
The position is full-time and may be based in any major city in Southeast Asia.
Applications should be submitted by Jan 16, 2020, using the application form at the bottom of this page.
Key Position Aims:
- Enhance human rights and environmental justice advocacy and campaigns through effective media curation, production, distribution, outreach, and engagement
- Develop social & environmental justice fields through improved knowledge sharing, outreach, and engagement
- Support the media advocacy needs of EngageMedia’s various networks, with a focus on digital rights networks and movements, primarily Coconet
- Build and strengthen relations and collaborations between changemakers in variosu fields, including journalism, human rights, digital, technology, digital rights, and video for change, among others
- Write, curate, edit, and publish regular blogs and articles on our various platforms, from the EngageMedia team and our various networks
- Work with our communications team to develop a regular podcast series focused on EngageMedia’s key issues, with a focus on digital rights
- Curate, distribute, and engage audiences with relevant video content and other multimedia
- Develop the online presence of EngageMedia’s various platforms, with a focus on Coconet.social, ensuring it is an active space for engagement on digital rights issues
- Mobilise communities to assist with translation of important content into Southeast Asian languages
Engagement and Impact
- Provide support for campaigns (national, regional, and international) by highlighting important work and assisting with distribution and engagement of related media
- Conduct targeted outreach and engagement activities to mainstream media, policy advocates, campaigners, social movements, and civil society
- Conduct social media outreach and design engagement strategies, including experimenting with a variety of non-corporate promotion and engagement platforms
- Contribute to regional coordination and profile raising via meetings, social media, relationship management, and attendance at events
- Develop partnerships with campaigners, video activists, journalists, technologists, NGOs, and mainstream media outlets to get content distributed
Management and Coordination
- Support EngageMedia and its various networks, with a focus on Coconet, to effectively communicate and engage audiences with their work
- Contribute to the development and use of a contacts database
- Ensure communication activities conform to branding and style guidelines, and quality standards
- Proofread written English materials prior to publication
- Mentor and support staff to be more effective in their outreach, engagement, and impact efforts
- Document what we are learning via short reports and blogging
- Liaise with web developers/designers as required to for online development and other technical needs
- Attend and conduct media and communication workshops on an adhoc basis
- Professional-level English writing and editing abilities
- A strong background in journalism and/or communications for advocacy
- Excellent communications skills, including in speaking, presenting, and public relations
- Strong background in advocacy campaigning
- Expertise in using media and technology for creating social change
- A commitment or openness to open source and alternative technologies
- Experience working in and supporting networks
- Strong media and journalism networks
- Excellent management and planning skills
- Ability to take on a variety of deadline-driven tasks with limited supervision
- Experience with remote working set ups
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
- Proficiency in at least one Southeast Asian language
- A minimum of 7 years experience in the field
- Some experience with audio/video production and distribution
- Some knowledge of digital rights and freedom of expression issues
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the internet and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist movements challenge social injustice and environmental damage, as well as to present solutions.
EngageMedia works with independent film-makers, video activists, technologists, campaigners and social movements to generate wider audiences for their vital messages, and move people to action.
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12 month, full-time contract will be offered with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
Salary range is $2000–2600 USD per month, depending on skill set, experience, and cost of living in your home location.
A monthly communications and health allowance are included, as is travel insurance.
Please fill the application form below. Applications are due by Jan 16, 2020.